Discharge Medicines Service Pathfinder
Appropriate patients, being discharged from Altnagelvin Area Hospital will
be referred at discharge, or within 24 hours of discharge to a participating
community pharmacy to receive support with medicines optimisation and
The pathfinder DMS is being established to ensure better communication
about a patient’s medicines on discharge. The aims are to:
- Optimise the use of medicines, whilst facilitating shared decision making
- Reduce harm from medicines at transfers of care
- Improve patients’ understanding of their medicines and how to take theM following discharge from hospital
- Reduce hospital readmissions
- Support the development of effective team-working across hospital pharmacy, community pharmacy and General Practice teams and provide clarity about respective roles
- Develop good shared communication channels across all teams involved in the service ensuring appropriate governance arrangements are in place.
Further information including service specification, presentation, and contract are available HERE.