South West College have provided Pharmacy Services qualifications at Level 2 and are continuing to offer the qualification at both level 2 and level 3. There are qualified, experienced pharmacists delivering the qualification.
As pharmacy is deemed a high priority skill area by the government, the course is fully funded and there are no age restrictions (This may be subject to change in March next year):
1. Programme criteria; the qualification is fully funded for students of any age. An employer grant is available on successful completion of the course. £500 is payable to employers for apprentices up to 24 years of age and £250 for apprentices 25 years and over.
2. Duration of the programme; Level 2 can take up to 1 academic year and Level 3 would be around 1 ½ year. The length of time may vary depending on the progress of each class.
3. Structure of the training; Apprentices attend class 1 morning per week for the duration of the qualification, usually in college but training can be delivered in-house (numbers permitting). We are flexible and can work around busy times of the year for the pharmacy. Tutors will complete on site observations 2-3 times over the qualification. Apprentices who do not have C or above in maths and English must complete essential skills in order to achieve their full qualification. This will be timetabled at a time to suit each employer.
4. Content of the training; Units covered are:
- Communicating with pharmacy customers
- Law, regulation, health and safety in pharmacy
- Working in the pharmacy team
- Ordering and issuing stock in the pharmacy
- Receiving, storing and maintaining stock in the pharmacy
- Selling over the counter medicines in the pharmacy
If you are interested or have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact: Nicki Gregg, Support Staff – South West College – Omagh Campus